Our church was organized in June of 1894 as Heidelberg Reformed Church: a mission of the North Carolina of the Reformed Church. Located on West Main St in Thomasville, the original church structure was finished and dedicated in December 1895. In 1911, as a result of the increase in membership, the church building and parsonage were remodeled. By 1920, it was evident that new church facilities would need to be built. So, the land for the current church location on Salem Street was purchased. The Reformed Church merged with the Evangelical Church in 1934 with our church then becoming Heidelberg Evangelical and Reformed. Construction of the current church began in 1946. The old building was destroyed by fire in 1949. So, the congregation worshipped in the completed basement of the current structure from 1949 until the completion of the sanctuary in 1955. After the repayment of the sanctuary construction debt in December 1960, construction on the bell tower began. The bell tower was dedicated on September 27, 1964. With the merger of the Evangelical and Reformed and the Congregational Christian Churches in 1957, our church became Heidelberg United Church of Christ

Recent Comments

    Archives

    Categories

    • No categories